Your ticket to Lithuanian labour market

Frequently asked questions

Scroll me down

EU Blue Card

I have professional experience for over 5 years. Can I be granted an EU Blue Card?

In order to qualify for a EU Blue card, you need to have a University diploma or a document certifying 5 years of professional experience of a level comparable to higher education qualifications and which is relevant in the profession or sector specified in the work contract or binding job offer (issued by the Ministry of the Economy and Innovation).

I have a college degree. Am I eligible to receive the Blue Card?

Yes, you have the right to apply for the EU Blue Card.

What happens if I lose my job?

Should you remain unemployed for more than 3 months or have been fired more than once during the validity period of your Blue card, you will no longer be eligible to reside in Lithuania. Moreover, should you wish to change jobs within your first two years in Lithuania, you will need to receive special consent from the Migration department.

Do all the documents have to be translated into Lithuanian?

Yes, all the documents apart from your passport have to be translated to Lithuanian and approved by a notary.

How long is the EU Blue Card valid for?

It is valid for a period of no more than 3 years. If a worker‘s contract is for a shorter duration, the card is granted for the duration of the contract plus three months. The EU Blue Card can be renewed for a further two years, but to do so the applicant must reapply.

Who can be considered a family member?

There are three types of family member that are eligible:

  • Your spouse or official partner (you will need a registered partnership agreement for official partners);
  • Your children, including adopted children, provided they are still minors;
  • Dependants. These can only be first-degree relatives who have been dependent on you for at least one year and are unable to receive support from other family members residing in a foreign country. For example, an elderly parent who is unable to care for themself would be classified as a dependent.
How long is it valid for family members?

The same period of duration applies to both the employee and their family.

I want to extend my residence permit. What should I do?

After the Blue Card’s duration period of 3 years has passed, you are eligible to extend your residence permit. The procedure is the same as applying for the permit for the first time.

What is the difference between regulated and unregulated professions?

A regulated profession is one that requires constructive teaching and assessment to gain qualification. Licenses, certificates and other documents are needed to confirm such qualification. For example, doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers and others.

Unregulated professions have no legal requirements or restrictions which regulate their practice. These professions include IT, communications, as well as most business and manufacturing qualifications.

Are there any other documents I have to submit that were not mentioned in the application process?

Yes, in some situations you may have to submit additional documents if they are needed, for example: change of name certificate.

Is it possible to complete an online application form?

Yes, you are able to submit application on-line. Use the Migration Department’s online services system:


My visa is expiring, but my work contract is still valid. Do I have to extend my visa?

If You have the Blue Card You do not need to extend a visa or get a work permit since a Blue Card acts as a resident permit.

What‘s the difference between a Schengen and a National visa?

A National single entry visa is specifically issued for the completion of the EU Blue Card procedure. A Schengen visa, on the other hand, can be issued for other purposes (for example business meetings or travel).

Sponsored by:
Executed by: